Perfect Roast Dry Aged Sirloin of Beef
Lunch • Celebration • Family
- 1.5kg Sirloin of Beef
- Rapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled (optional)
- A few sprigs of thyme (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp Potts Hot Horseradish and Chilli Mustard Sauce, to finish
Cooks in: 2 hours • Difficulty: Medium
- Take the beef out of the fridge and place it in a cool place for at least an hour and a half before cooking, allowing it to come to room temperature.
- Once the beef has reached room temperature, preheat the oven to 220°C, 200°C fan, Gas mark 7
- Rub the beef all over with plenty of rapeseed oil and season with salt and black pepper. Thickly slice the onions and place them in a heavy roasting tin with the sprigs of thyme (if using). Put the meat on top of the onions and roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to 160°C/150°C fan/Gas mark 3 and roast for a further 10 minutes per 500g for rare, or 12 minutes per 500g for medium-rare, or 15 minutes per 500g for cooked through. You can test the meat with a meat thermometer if you have one - it should read 50°C for rare meat.
- Half an hour before the end of cooking time, spread the horseradish chilli mustard sauce on top of the meat, baste well and return to the oven.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and leave the meat to rest for 15-20 minutes in a warm place, loosely covered with foil but not completely sealed or the meat will steam.
- Carve the roast beef and serve on a warm platter with the perfect roast potatoes.