The history of the South Ormsby Estate stretches back thousands of years.
Between the 1st and 5th centuries, the estate was home to a Roman settlement and a medieval village was established here before the Norman invasion of 1066. In the 14th century, the land was purchased by the Skipwith family and in the 17th century, it was bought by the Massingberd family. The Massingberds, who became the Massingberd-Mundys in the 19th century, owned South Ormsby Estate for almost 400 years. Today, the estate is under the custodianship of Jon and Jan Thornes who, with the support of leading experts and skilled craftspeople, are working hard to secure a bright future for this historical Lincolnshire estate.
The South Ormsby Estate is working to create a brighter future for the local area by supporting the growth of a modern and dynamic rural economy while enhancing the natural beauty and character of the estate. Their vision aims to make this historic country estate a better place to live, work, learn and play. Renovations, sustainable development and business support are the foundations of their ambitious plans for the estate’s future. The estate is working to promote entrepreneurship, support agricultural diversification, establish new micro-businesses and deliver new opportunities for self-employment and home working.