Sweet French Toast with Crispy Bacon, Blueberries and Honey
Perfect for a lazy breakfast or brunch, the sweet French toast and blueberries complement the saltiness of the bacon.
breakfast • Brunch • Sweet & savoury
- 4 x slices dry cured back bacon
- 150ml milk
- 2 x British Blue eggs
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tbsp caster sugar
- 3 x slices of Spelt and Honey Loaf, cut in half
- Butter, for frying
- 1 x punnet of blueberries
- 2 tbsp White Heron Framboise
- 2 tbsp IMP & MAKER Red Love Apple Juice
- 2 tbsp honey
Cooks in: 20 mins • Difficulty: Easy
- Put the blueberries into a hot non-stick frying pan, add the Framboise and apple juice and leave to cook for a minute until the berries are just beginning to give. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the grill.
- Place the bacon on a baking sheet and grill the bacon until crispy. While the bacon is cooking, whisk together the milk, eggs, cinnamon and sugar in a shallow bowl until well blended.
- Remove the bacon from the grill, place on a plate, and keep warm.
- Dip 3 of the slices of bread into the egg mixture and leave to stand for 20 seconds to absorb the liquid. Flip the bread over and allow to stand for another 20 seconds.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until melted, taking care not to let the butter burn. Add the dipped bread slices and cook for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Flip over and continue cooking for 1 minute or until done. Remove from the pan to keep warm and repeat with the remaining 3 bread slices.
- On each plate, place 3 slices of French toast, top with 2 strips of bacon, spoon over the blueberries and some of their cooking juices and drizzle with a little honey.