The perfect roast potatoes should be golden and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. For us, this starts with the correct type of potato. Melody potatoes are known for being smooth and yellow-skinned, their dry texture is perfect for roasting.
Cooks in: 1 hour 30 mins
- 2kg (min.) Melody potatoes
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/Gas mark 7.
- Firstly, heat the rapeseed oil in a roasting tin in the oven until very hot.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into halves or quarters
- depending on size.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and bring to the boil over a high heat, then turn the heat down to medium. Simmer gently for 8 minutes (the flesh should be soft on the outside when scraped with a fork but still undercooked in the middle).
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and shake well
- to fluff up the outsides and leave to dry out, letting the steam escape for 5 minutes. Remove the roasting tin from the oven and carefully place the potatoes in the oil in a single layer. Season the potatoes with a little salt and pepper
- and then turn them in the oil until coated. Return
- the tin to the oven and roast the potatoes for 1 hour until crisp and golden, turning every 10 minutes or so.
- When cooked, take the potatoes out of the oil
- with a slotted spoon and place them in a serving
- bowl. Scatter with salt and serve immediately.